Kay Builders - Horrible Customer Service, Cut Corners on Material Quality
My home is only 6 years old, and so far I've had to do a complete roof replacement (Tamko 3 Tab, read reviews and you'll see why), and the tile in every room of the house (foyer, kitchen, and all 3 bathrooms) is delaminating and breaking apart. After several calls, I had someone from Kay out to look at them. He gave it about a 2 minute look and stated it was outside the 1-year warranty, but he'd talk to people back at the office. After he left, I didn't hear from him again. Nearly a year later, I raised the issue once again. I placed calls that again went unanswered, and went to the office to voice my frustration in person. Again, they stood fast on their joke of a 1 year warranty. If tile was failing in one section of the house, I would accept the repair cost. The fact that it is universally failing in every room of the house is indicative of poor design or installation. Lifting up the tiles (which took nothing more than a finger), I discovered that Luan was used as the underlayment...not cement board or a decoupling membrane as is required for tile.
And my personal favorite:
"This kitchen floor tile was improperly installed directly on luan plywood which is not stable, causing the tile to break and throw grout. This situation generally takes a year or two to show itself which is normally past most state mandated contractor warranties (1yr). If you are lucky to have a contractor who stands behind their work, they will repair it."
I had been re-grouting the initial failures, which unfortunately caused an even lengthier time for complete failure, making it even easier for Kay to wash their hands of it. My first home was hardwood and carpet, and I thought the occasional grout repair was simply the cost of ownership, but over time it began to snowball. But the simple fact remains...if they were a competent builder, they knew it was improper to install tile on luan, and they did it anyway, knowing the failure would happen down the line.
When confronted about the matter with factual evidence of negligence, they instead chose to stop responding all together. Abysmal customer service, and an absolute crime that they can have their company tagline of "5 Decades of Excellence".
A small sample size of pictures attached.
More Review Details
|Value for money|
|Advertised vs Delivered|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Quality of work
Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more ›
You May Also Like
- "hello to everyone here I wish there would be somekind of class action suite against them there are complaints everywhere my story is I bought a home from clayton homes..."
- "I placed nearly 5K down in form of check that was cashed 2 days later on vinyl siding job promised to be done by Christmas. Cash down was expected in..."
- "These photos are of a house with defective stucco at Sun City Hilton Head, SC. It is one example of the widespread defective stucco problem at SCHH that has resulted..."
- "You may have seen the ads stream across your social media accounts about some celebrity losing their job because they lost weight (Melissa McCarthy, for example) and all because they..."
- "For over a month and a half at my home in Charlotte, NC , USIC has been sitting in the parking area for hours, sometimes never getting out of trucks,..."
- "Gregory Jones, Southlake Texas is seeking investors but only take your money! He takes investment and does nothing but file law papers to steal your money! He is a scammer!..."
- "I was also scammed your story sounds a little familiar with mine. I wanted to buy a puppy for my kids so I went online found a man selling miniture..."
- "We have had our cookware for about 5 years and absolutely love the performance. However, the plastic lid handles on 5 of our lids have broken. Some have broken twice!..."
- "Well what can I say this house is a money pit. First off I was told that house may have high radon but not that bad. Chernobyl plant didn't rate..."