1.4
Turnaround Time

My home is only 6 years old, and so far I've had to do a complete roof replacement (Tamko 3 Tab, read reviews and you'll see why), and the tile in every room of the house (foyer, kitchen, and all 3 bathrooms) is delaminating and breaking apart. After several calls, I had someone from Kay out to look at them. He gave it about a 2 minute look and stated it was outside the 1-year warranty, but he'd talk to people back at the office. After he left, I didn't hear from him again. Nearly a year later, I raised the issue once again. I placed calls that again went unanswered, and went to the office to voice my frustration in person. Again, they stood fast on their joke of a 1 year warranty. If tile was failing in one section of the house, I would accept the repair cost. The fact that it is universally failing in every room of the house is indicative of poor design or installation. Lifting up the tiles (which took nothing more than a finger), I discovered that Luan was used as the underlayment...not cement board or a decoupling membrane as is required for tile.

And my personal favorite:

Which States:

"This kitchen floor tile was improperly installed directly on luan plywood which is not stable, causing the tile to break and throw grout. This situation generally takes a year or two to show itself which is normally past most state mandated contractor warranties (1yr). If you are lucky to have a contractor who stands behind their work, they will repair it."

I had been re-grouting the initial failures, which unfortunately caused an even lengthier time for complete failure, making it even easier for Kay to wash their hands of it. My first home was hardwood and carpet, and I thought the occasional grout repair was simply the cost of ownership, but over time it began to snowball. But the simple fact remains...if they were a competent builder, they knew it was improper to install tile on luan, and they did it anyway, knowing the failure would happen down the line.

When confronted about the matter with factual evidence of negligence, they instead chose to stop responding all together. Abysmal customer service, and an absolute crime that they can have their company tagline of "5 Decades of Excellence".

A small sample size of pictures attached.

This reviewer shared experience about bad quality and wants this business to "stand by the quality of your work, and fix it all" as the author lost $5000. Rhoffman84 is overall dissatisfied with Kay Builders and uploaded picture s. The most disappointing about kay builders tile replacement at Kay Builders was customer service and quality of work , but reviewer liked location. Reviewer wants customer support to reach our to him or her ASAP for further discussion of this matter.

Also, you can continue reading comments about Kay Builders.

Check out the best and the worst companies in Home Construction and Repair category for more informed decision or compare Kay Builders to other companies on our site.

Comments

New York, New York, United States #1296779

Same issues in many houses (including my own).Tile cracking, was told it must have been our fault.

Kept pushing back. Same issue with faulty construction.

Kitchen is cracking all over and upstairs bath is so bouncy.Many other issues throughout whole development.