Kay Builders - Horrible Customer Service, Cut Corners on Material Quality
My home is only 6 years old, and so far I've had to do a complete roof replacement (Tamko 3 Tab, read reviews and you'll see why), and the tile in every room of the house (foyer, kitchen, and all 3 bathrooms) is delaminating and breaking apart. After several calls, I had someone from Kay out to look at them. He gave it about a 2 minute look and stated it was outside the 1-year warranty, but he'd talk to people back at the office. After he left, I didn't hear from him again. Nearly a year later, I raised the issue once again. I placed calls that again went unanswered, and went to the office to voice my frustration in person. Again, they stood fast on their joke of a 1 year warranty. If tile was failing in one section of the house, I would accept the repair cost. The fact that it is universally failing in every room of the house is indicative of poor design or installation. Lifting up the tiles (which took nothing more than a finger), I discovered that Luan was used as the underlayment...not cement board or a decoupling membrane as is required for tile.
And my personal favorite:
"This kitchen floor tile was improperly installed directly on luan plywood which is not stable, causing the tile to break and throw grout. This situation generally takes a year or two to show itself which is normally past most state mandated contractor warranties (1yr). If you are lucky to have a contractor who stands behind their work, they will repair it."
I had been re-grouting the initial failures, which unfortunately caused an even lengthier time for complete failure, making it even easier for Kay to wash their hands of it. My first home was hardwood and carpet, and I thought the occasional grout repair was simply the cost of ownership, but over time it began to snowball. But the simple fact remains...if they were a competent builder, they knew it was improper to install tile on luan, and they did it anyway, knowing the failure would happen down the line.
When confronted about the matter with factual evidence of negligence, they instead chose to stop responding all together. Abysmal customer service, and an absolute crime that they can have their company tagline of "5 Decades of Excellence".
A small sample size of pictures attached.
More Review Details
|Value for money|
|Advertised vs Delivered|
|Diversity of Products or Services|
|Exchange, Refund and Cancellation Policy|
|Product or Service Quality|
What I liked
What I disliked
- Customer service
- Quality of work
You May Also Like
- "We moved in 11 April 2014. LOVED our house although there were several things that were mentioned at our punch list that were flat out ignored (still, to this day..."
- "It was recently discovered that my Standard Pacific home and all 37 homes built the same year have major structural water damage. At least 4 structural engineers have reported..."
- "AHP is wonderful at first. The office managed even took me out for beers and to discuss the house. All of that congeniality changed when we actually begin..."
- "I purchased a prom dress here for my daughter it was received earlier than expected and thank goodness for that. We had chosen to do custom measurements vs choosing..."
- "I was also scammed your story sounds a little familiar with mine. I wanted to buy a puppy for my kids so I went online found a man selling miniture..."
- "I had called Viridian about X5l gen2 the x5l gen 2 was not powering on at all so that asked me to mail it back going..."
- "Bought through Costco, $1400 on 9/25/14..... always some issue, rebooting all the time... Well, last Saturday 12/3/16, the NVR was making a grinding noise. I removed the cover and turned..."
- "I have shown these pictures to Oak Grove rental office I have also had the office send these pictures to Morgan Properties also so that this problem can be handled...."
- "I purchased a box of crackers and each pack had what looked like and crumbled like peanut butter. I was completely disappointed and call the manufacturer and they stated it..."